- What's on
- Artist development
- Support us
If you are aged between 18 and 27 and have a love of music we can offer you free bed & breakfast accommodation in Aldeburgh and free tickets to festival events in exchange for a willingness to help with the behind the scenes organistion of the festival.
Applications are now invited to join the Hesse Student Scheme this year. Places will be available for either one week stays from Friday 10 - Saturday 18 June, or from Saturday 18 - Sunday 26 June, or for the whole festival 10 - 26 June.
HRH Princess Margaret of Hesse and the Rhine was a stalwart supporter of the arts and an enthusiastic President of Aldeburgh Music from 1986-1997.
Together with her husband, she established the unique Hesse Student Scheme in 1959. The purpose of the Scheme was to enable young people between the ages of 18-27 with a love of music the opportunity to attend the Aldeburgh Festival at little cost.
Hesse Students are called upon to assist in the day-to-day running of the Festival, with typical duties including programme selling, page turning, invigilating exhibitions, helping with office duties, assisting with Festival Walks and beach events, occasionally serving wine and canapés at sponsors' receptions, and even bus conducting on the coaches that run from Aldeburgh to all concert venues.
This year , in addition to the general duties listed above, we are offering the opportunity to apply to be assigned particular responsibilities and hugely valuable work experience:
1. Bandstand on the Beach - concert managing, everyday from 12 noon - mid afternoon on Aldeburgh Beach
2. Education - helping with the Big Fun Sing - working with 100s of schoolchildren, Takeover Day and the Grade 1 challenge
3. Masterclass/Artist Development - artist administration and concert management
4. Production and Concert Management - shadowing the concert managers and technical team - ideally a driver
5. Page turning - an extremely responsible job and only for those confident with challenging repertoire
6. Catalogue d'Oiseaux - Sunday 19 June. From sunrise to sunset - we will need help with audience management
7. Fundraising/Event Management - working closely with the fundraising department and hands on experience of delivering events for our donors
Hesse Students also put on their own performance at the end of each week in our wonderful fringe venue in Aldeburgh - The Pumphouse.
For more detailed information on the Hesse Student Scheme click here:
Appplications for the 2016 Aldeburgh Festival are now being accepted.
Hesse Student Application Form
For more information please contact Jane Alexander on 01728 687127, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click here for details and news about Hesse Student alumni.