- What's on
- Artist development
- Support us
We look for talented emerging professional instrumentalists, singers and composers who are at the beginning of their career and who are looking for exciting opportunities to further develop their skills and broaden their horizons.
There is no formal upper age limit, but we expect that most Young Artists will be in the age range 19-30 years old and will be either current students or recent graduates of a major music performance or composition degree course.
The Britten–Pears Young Artist Programme accepts applications and auditions through our online audition platform, Acceptd. We require all applicants to fill in the required forms for the projects they wish to apply for and to submit an up-to-date CV. We prefer auditions to be recorded and submitted online at Acceptd. We will be holding a limited number of live auditions. Please ensure that your audition (live or recorded) meets the requirements specified for the projects that you are applying for.
Please see the instructions below for more details on how to apply via the Acceptd platform.
We charge a non-refundable application fee of £30/$50, which is payable to Acceptd. This covers the cost of a specialist panel assessing each audition and the administration costs of running our audition platform, Acceptd. You only need to pay one fee, even if you are applying for several projects. Larger ensembles should make a single application; both members of a duo should make separate applications.
The deadline for completed applications is midnight GMT on Friday 14 November 2014. Those hoping to audition live should ensure they have completed their application by this date. We will not be able to accept any applications after this date.
We will contact all applicants by email by March 2015. Composers applying for the ‘Writing for Vocal Ensemble’ project will be notified by 19 December 2014.
1. Choose the project(s) you wish to apply for. Please check the descriptions carefully and ensure that you are eligible for them.
2. Create a profile on Acceptd. Fill in the form with all the required material and upload all the necessary documents. You will need to submit separate applications for each project you wish to apply for. Only one fee is payable per applicant.
3. Upload your audition video or composition PDFs . Please check that your recording matches the specified criteria for the projects you wish to apply for. You should submit only one audition video regardless of how many projects you are applying for. We prefer to receive video auditions, but are offering a limited number of live auditions. More information about live auditions is available below.
4. In certain circumstances, we may also ask some applicants to attend a live audition following their video submission. We will contact you with further details if this is necessary.
5. Pay the application fee. Please note, once you have submitted your application and paid the application fee, you cannot go back to your profile and upload or change your files. Only one fee is payable per applicant. If you wish to apply for another BPYAP project, please enter the following code in the ‘coupon code’ field on the payment page: 02BPYA01. Your first application must be fully paid before the code can be used for any further applications.
6. If you have any questions about the application process or Acceptd, please click the Acceptd support button on the left-hand side of the Acceptd website.
We expect everyone to apply with an online audition video, however, there are a few live audition slots available in exceptional circumstances (for example, if you’re finding it difficult to record a video).
Royal Academy of Music, London – Sunday 11 January 2015
Royal College of Music, London – date tbc
Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester – Thursday 15 January 2015
Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London – Friday 16 January 2015
We will also be holding a limited number of ‘open’ auditions in Toronto, New York, Miami and London. If you prefer to audition live, please select your venue when prompted on the Acceptd platform.
Toronto – Saturday 17 January 2015
New York – Monday 19 & Tuesday 20 January 2015
Miami – Thursday 22 January 2015
London - Tuesday 27 & Wednesday 28 January 2015
Please note, if you choose to audition live and are subsequently unavailable, we may not be able to consider your application.
What our past alumni say:
‘I have never been anywhere else where I have learnt so much in so short a time and have come away refreshed and itching to make music.’
‘The BPP is a great opportunity to work with top musicians in a friendly and supportive environment. ... The genuine love of music embedded in everyone here is truly inspirational and reminds us why we want to be musicians.’
‘Britten–Pears is a very positive experience. From the stunning location to the excellent tuition it is an opportunity young musicians should not miss out on.’
‘The Programme is a great symposium where composers, performers and tutors can work closely together in an inspirational environment.’